I had a productive day today getting a few things done on the engine. I worked on putting together the exhaust shroud for the heater and also finished up the radiator/oil cooler bracket. The exhaust shroud needed all the holes drilled in the large clamps that hold the shroud cover onto the exhaust. There’s quite a few holes that need to be drilled, but once you get set up it goes along quickly. I used RTV to seal up the mating surfaces and also filled the area where the inlet and outlet tubes attach to the shroud. I’m waiting on the bolts and a longer tube for the front (the one I had was too short to reach past the cowling.
On the radiator/oil cooler mount I just needed to install the cam locks. I’ve been getting the hardware from Skybolt. I purchased a simple non adjustable, non floating receptacle and had a few of the -6 length studs already. I just need to put some kind of rubber on the part that presses against the oil cooler so it doesn’t wear and scratch the cooler.
Oh yeah and also my Andair fuel check valves came in so I test fit them into the fuel pump assembly. It’s tight but they fit. I had to order these from Andair in the UK since they seem to be the only ones that have the check valves with the 5/16″ hose barb.
All the holes drilled in the exhaust shroud. The last row of holes needs to be after it’s fitted onto the exhaust when the clamps have been tightened. TAF supplies stainless steel rivets with a steel mandrel to use on the shroud.
A few photos of the shroud installed on the exhaust. I order some 1.5″ (0.065 wall) anodized aluminum tube for the front inlet. I needed a bit longer tube so that it will stick out from the cowling (will need to cut a hole in the cowling for that) Also to get the shroud on I had to remove the bracket that attaches to the exhaust. You just need to remove one of the engine mount bolts and an M10 Allen screw to get the bracket off.
Radiator and oil cooler brackets are done. I had to modify the camloc receptacle a little so that it would fit flat on the bracket. I just had to file one edge a bit.
Well it all fits. The sides of the box bow out slightly, but should be fine. And yes I know I have the fuel pumps reversed (I think I have the check valves in the right direction, but I’ll check it out before I install them). It seems like they fit better in the box this way and the box is labelled “in” and “out” so I wanted to make it so the labels are accurate. It shouldn’t really affect the hose braided lines.