Wheel Spats and Luggage Door

Time: 3.5hrs

Spent some time fitting the main and nose wheel spats on. I started with the main wheel spats. At first I was thinking that this was not going to work. They seemed so far off and parts were rubbing on the tires. I trimmed about 1/8″ or less from the top of the outer wheel cover. Things seemed to fit a bit better. I marked the top of the rear part of the cover (the part that bolts onto the gear) so that it lined up with the top of the front and cut that. The fit was even better. A little more light cutting and then a final sanding ended up with a pretty good fit.


A few photos of the fitment of the left spat. I’m pretty happy with it. Still need to cut the holes for air filling. 

I ended up glueing the washer to the inside of the spat since it was nearly impossible to get it to go on. 


One more look from the front


On to the nose wheel. Glad I didn’t use the factory provided holes as they were a little off. I ended up sharpening a M5 screw and screwed it into the hole then lined up the cover and hitting it with a mallet. This leaves a mark on the inside of the spat so you know where to drill the hole. 


Almost done. I still need to cut the top even and I believe the manual says to install two rivnuts at the top into the nose wheel strut. 


All spats on. Looking good 🙂

I also added some think neoprene foam to the luggage door. I had previously installed some neoprene rubber and it wasn’t really thick enough. Also it was kind of sticky so the luggage door would stick when you tried to open it. I just added the foam over the rubber and now it seems to seal up fairly well. 


The rest of the door will get covered with carpeting. 

Advertisements

Rear Fuselage Skins Done

Time: 5.5hrs

A momentous day for the airplane. Today the rear fuselage got closed up. Before closing it up I doubled checked that all the holes that need to be dimpled for the parachute area where correct. The only way to really check is to place the cover one the parachute box hole and verify that any holes that are covered by the cover skin are dimpled. I missed two on the right front side so it was good I checked.

Lots of photos below

Here’s the left and right side, checked and ready to go for riveting. The two areas I had some fitment issues where the tail cone along rib 6 (I think) and up in front on the right side along the join to the bottom skin… maybe 10 rivets. Other then that everything lined up great.

All the dimpling finished and checked for the parachute area.

Com1 antenna mount in place. I’ll need to install a few rivnuts here later for mounting the antenna.

Top of fuselage along the join. I used an edge tool to put a bit of a bend on the edge so that it seals well. Seems like it will work well. Thanks Peter for sharing this on your build log.

This is the luggage door area. The spot where the open rivet holes are have a spacer behind them. The spacer fits between the inside of the skin and a channel piece, But I noticed that the spacer they give isn’t really thick enough so I’ll have to make a thicker one or add to the existing. I found this after I riveted it and saw that he skin was being pulled a bit so I drilled out the rivets. I’ll have to come back to this.

Here’s where the space goes. It’s a good size gap, probably 1/8″ or a little less.

Here’s the spacer only about a 1/16″

Almost done

A good shot of the holes that I sized up to 4mm. There are a few on rib 6 and the last 4 holes on the top join. The long line on the top to bottom skin join is because of a prior issue with the skin and the longeron holes not lining up.

Still need to do some work here.

And it’s done. It all came out pretty good. Not too many bumps or pulls in the skin.

The only area that may need some work is the top middle section right where the com1 antenna and parachute box area is. Even though I made a spacer along the rib for the antenna bracket there is bump in the skin. It’s not that big of a deal since the parachute cover will cover that area up, but it would be nice to get it looking better. I did notice that even on the factory built planes this area is bumpy so I don’t feel too bad.

So next is to finish up riveting the luggage area… floor, parachute box, etc. then I should be good to put the front fuselage side skins on.

 

Luggage Door

Time: 3.5 hrs

  • Prepped and primed the few remaining fuselage parts plus the new com2 antenna bracket
  • Etch primed the cowling strips to be painted grey (on the inside)
  • Painted inside of cowling strips grey
  • Cut rear seat reinforcing bracket and drill out holes in LGN-303 for the bracket
  • Fit luggage door and drilled holes in hinge

Very slight bend needed in the door to get it to match the rear fuselage. It’s actually pretty hard to bend the door because of the thickness of the material. Thank God it didn’t need too much of a bend.

All the holes drilled out in the top part of the hinge.

Door aligned and holes drilled in the the hinge (lowest row of clecos)