Throttle Console Mold

I finally finished the mold for the throttle console piece. I had made one before Christmas, but it didn’t come out as good as I had hoped so I decided to give it another go. I had a few issues with this one and had to order more gel coat. The gel coat came out a bit uneven because I brushed it on rather then spraying it. It’s should be thick enough though so the mold should work well. I’ll have to get this to the Carbon Fiber guy this week so he can make the parts.

The gel coat looks a bit funky, but it’s super smooth and plenty thick enough. I did 6 layers of fiber glass matte and added 3 wood cross pieces for a little more rigidity. The holes and cut outs for the parking brake and throttle are pretty pronounced so it should be easy to just cut those out from the final part.

Mold Redux

I’ve actually had this done for a week or so, but forgot to post it. I made a mold for the carbon fiber glove box top that I want to make. I’ll take this down to the guy that’s going to make the part to see if this will work. If it looks good then I’ll make one for the throttle console as well. The mold came out OK, but its not a glossy as I thought it would be and I had some issues with getting the gel coat to the correct thickness. This is supposed to be really good gel coat, but for some reason I’m having a lot of problems with it. The manufacture says it needs to be sprayed, but I see a lot of other people brushing on the gel coat and it seems to come out really nice. I’ll have to look around to see if I can find another manufacture for the gel coat.

Part is ready to go. I filled all the holes with expose resin and sanded them flat.I greatly simplified the mold prep from the last time and also used a lot less wax on the seams.

Gel coat not going on so well

I was able to get a second coat on without it bubbling, but still not great.

Used some epoxy resin and talc to reinforce the corners

Two coat of resin and fiber mat. Now I need to add the wood bracing.

Wood bracing is in and now just need to add another 3-4 layers of mat. This makes a sizable mess.

Finished mold. It came out OK. I was hoping it would be a bit more glossy for a better finish on the final part. I think I can polish it so I need to look into that.