Time: 2.5 hrs
Since the Sika finally arrived I was able to install the window in the left canopy door. Tomorrow I’ll clean it up and hang in on the canopy, just temporarily. The window install went as expected. I used some smaller clamps that seemed to work well.
A few photos of the right side door temporarily installed on the canopy. The window came out pretty good. just a few spots to fix with some Sika.
This stuff is awesome. I purchased it from Amazon for around $7. You can hand rub it or use a buffing wheel. It removed all the fine scratches I found in the windows without too much effort. Always, always use 100% cotton rags to clean the plexiglass, anything else will scratch it. Mine were scratched at the factory or in transit, nothing bad just annoying.
My wife Rose couldn’t resist taking a photo of me in my Sunday best with my trusty Sika gun.
And the last window is pretty much done. The smaller clamps worked very well, just lightly holding some pressure. The Sika actually holds very well so they’re almost not required, but just in case.
Time: 2.5 hrs
Installed the window in the right canopy door. Letting it dry now and need more Sika to do the left one. The door required quite a few clamps. The C-type clamps don’t work so well because it’s hard to get them clear of the Sika on the front, but still on the frame on the back. I ended up using the furniture type clamps. The only thing I did different then the rear windows was that I removed the tape on the inside of the window after about an 1-1.5 hours after I put down the Sika. The tape was much easier to remove and left a few spots that needed to be cleaned up since the Sika was still a little wet. Smoothing with your finger and using a little Mineral Spirits to cleaned it up seemed to work well. This approach was much easier then letting it dry and having to cut the Sika with a knife to get the tape out. I’ll take some photos after it’s all cleaned up.
Time: 3.5 hrs
No photos today I just sized and prepped the left side window same as the right. So all the major cutting is done. I just need to mask the inside and rough up the mounting area on the plexiglass. I’m hoping I’ll have some time on Friday to install the windows in the frames.
After getting the rear windows installed I decided to work on the canopy door windows. The windows are fairly large so I had to clear some room to work on them. The process was the same as for the rear windows. There is an additional bit of trickiness where the door hinge mounts protrude from the door. I was able to get the right door nearly done for install.
Right side door window almost done, just need to mask the inside and sand the contact area with 80 grit paper.
That’s one of the tricky spots. I had to use the Dremel for these spots around the hinge. I just noticed that there’s some carbon fiber used in the door.
This is the other one. I may fix this one up a little.