Time: 6 hrs
Finished up the elevator. The last of the empannage parts. The hardest part of this piece was the composite end pieces. When I did the test fit a few days ago it seemed like they were going to fit really well. But after riveting was finished as I fit the end pieces it seemed that no matter what I did the pieces just weren’t long enough. I ended up pushing then as far forward (lead end of elevator) as I could and then filling the trailing edge with epoxy to extend them an extra 1/8-1/4″.
I made a mold out of tape and balsa… just something easy to sand off or remove.
Mixed some 2 part epoxy and poured it into the gap.
After a little sanding
Some primer to check if it looked OK. Still a little filling needed, but the extension seems to work.
OK now on the ordering the fuselage kit
Time: 5 hrs
Prepped outer skins for riveting. Did a test fit and debur of skins.
Just finished the HS. On to the elevator.
Time: 3.5 hrs
Finished one side riveting of the horizontal stabilizer skin. Kept checking the horizontal lines I drew on the ends to make sure both side are straight with each other. Will finish up the other side tomorrow.
Time: 4.75 hrs
Yay!!!! Rudder is finished. I also fitted and riveted the composite end piece. I had noticed that other builders had an issue getting the rivet gun along the bottom near the control horn plate. They came up with ingenious ways of getting the rivets pulled. I just left the plate off until the skin was riveted in place.
This is me happy to have finished another piece of the plane. Can you see how happy I am?
The part to the right is the one I left unriveted until the skin was done. I just made sure to cleco the area that needed to be held together.
End piece fit me riveted. Don’t forget the pull wire for the strobe.
Time: 2 hrs
Finished the vertical stabilizer today. Will have to get a picture. It came out pretty good. A few small spots that the skins do sit perfectly flat on the frame, even though I checked that all the flanges were level on the frame.
Primed the the front hinge area of the elevator. I’ve been using the protective plastic to mask the parts I don’t want to get primer on. It’s been working pretty well. Just celco the parts, use a soldering iron to trace the edge of the part then uncleco and remove the plastic.
Here’s the process I used for the hinge area on the elevator skins.
1) Celco the parts
2) Use soldering iron the trace the edge
3) Remove celcos and plastic. Now just prime. You get primer only where you need it.
Time: 1.25 hrs
Finished up the wiring on the horizontal and vertical stabilizer so that I can put the skins on. I ended up using the tefzel wire I purchased instead of the wire provided with the kit.
I put some heat shrink over the connector for the VOR so that it doesn’t come loose. There’s really no way to get in here again if there’s a problem other then drilling out the rivers and removing the top rib so I don’t want anything to come apart in here.
All the wiring done for the VOR and strobe. I used a 4 wire 20 gauge tefzel wire for the strobe and RG400 for the VOR. Evertything fit well using the 1/8″ diameter grommets.