Cowling Work and ALT2 Relay

Time: 2.0hrs

Today I fit the top vent and doors on the cowling. I need to do some sanding on the doors to get the gap equal all around and to get a little better fit. Tomorrow I’ll spray the inside with high temp silver paint and I have a sheet of heat shield that I want to put on the bottom cowling. I didn’t have the hinges for the cowling doors so I had to make up some out of some extra hinge material I had.

I also finished up the install of the ALT2 (internal alternator) relay. I drilled a few holes in the relay mount and harness so I could safety wire them together and then wrapped the join with some silicone tape. I also sealed the wire entry points with black RTV.

Hopefully that will keep it from falling off. It’s on there pretty good, but you never know.

All sealed up and safety wired and mounted back onto the bracket.

Finished fitting the top vent and doors onto the cowling. I need to drill out the door rivet holes to 1/8″ (3.2mm) and do a little sanding to the doors. I had to heat one of the doors with the heat gun at 600 degrees to get it to bend a little more for a better fit.

The air vent fits well. I’m thinking of using some sika on the join so it seals up.

The doors line up pretty well. I need to do some fine tuning and also install the cam locks.

Advertisements