Top Front Skin and Dash

Time: 3.5 hrs

Today I finally got the top front fuselage skin installed. I think I’ve taken care of most of the items that need to do with the firewall and wiring so I think it’s safe to put on the skin. I’m sure something will come up that would be easier to do with the skin removed, but hopefully that will be at a minimum. I used some sika on the top join to seal it and also ran a bead down each side along the cowling join area. I had a few holes that were a bit tough to get lined up, having the wet sika there made it especially fun.

I also started to line up and drill the mounting holes for the dash. I think I have the dash in the correct spot. I know Craig M had some details on mounting the dash, unfortunately my dash has some funkiness on the tabs that makes measuring a bit difficult. I set the right side to to 20mm that was stated in Craig’s blog and that seemed pretty good, I then used a level to set the left side (the side with the weird cut) and drilled out a few holes for the 4mm rivets,. I’m going to wait on the rest until I make a faux panel out of some 1/8″ plywood. I want to be sure that when a panel is mounted that the center section is in the correct spot and the panel sits flat. The dash is pretty floppy in that area and it could easily be bend back and out of shape and then when I mount the panel it won’t sit correctly.

One finish up task before installing the top skin was to run this safety cable on the turbo server. It is just there to make sure the cable can’t pull all the way out of the server. The Rotax manual doesn’t show how to do this so I improvised something.

All looks pretty good so I should be OK to close it up.

All done. There’s a thin bead of sika along the front and I put some sika in the front join between the top skin and firewall.

Dash is lined up and started to drill a few of the mounting holes. I’ve got a bit of work to do on the dash itself and there’s quite a few things that need to be done with the avionics before the dash can get mounted. NOTE: I noticed that the flange on the dash on the right side is a bit large then the flange on the left so you can’t use that to judge if the dash is on straight.

Fits OK on the center console as well, but I’ll make a faux panel out of some thin plywood just to make sure it will all work OK. Next project is to fit the cowling.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.