Canopy Door Locks

Time: 3.5 hrs

Since I really wasn’t looking forward to doing this part I decided to see if I could get it over with and install the locks in the canopy doors. I’m a bit nervous about drilling holes in plexiglass, however the process went fairly well. There was quite a bit of messing around and it was good I had some left over plexiglass to test drilling, etc before doing it to the actual window.

I purchased a 3/4″ (19mm) foster bit that I used to cut the large hole for the door lock handle. This went well, no chipping of cracking of the plexiglass. Also I found that drilling using standard drills was fine. I initially drilled a 1/16″ hole all the way through from the inside through the plexiglass as a pilot hole. The first try put the hole a little too low on the outside so I had to redrill it at a little bit of an angle to get it were it needed to be on the outside. I then used the 3/4″ foster bit to drill through the plexiglass and through the outside layer of fiberglass. I then enlarged the inside hole and used a 7/8″ step drill to enlarge it. I finished it by using the dremel with a sanding wheel so that the large half of the lock fit. Then came the tedious part of cutting out the hole so that the lock would fit flush in the door frame. With that done I lined up the inside cover plate to make sure the mounting holes would line up on the inside ridge of the door and then marked the 5mm holes to drill through the plexiglass to mount the lock. To get the positioning of these holes I used the inside lock part, lined it up with the 19mm hole, and mark the holes. This worked OK and the holes almost lined up, I needed to slightly adjust them as I increased the drill size to finally get to the 5mm hole.

19mm hole drilled in the plexiglass. I later use some 320 grit paper to smooth it out. I will probably need to do a little more sanding since the handle is a little tight to turn.

3/4″ foster bit drilled the 19mm hole very well.

Inside marked and drilled. I then used the step bit to enlarge it to 7/8″ and finished getting the inside lock part with the dremel and a sanding bit.

The inside part of the lock fits, now the next step is to cut out the hole so that it sits flush in the door.

This is what I ended up with for the cut out. I tried to make the top fit tight since that’s the part you’re going to see. The bottom portion I just squared off. Of course I slipped with the sander right when I was finishing and of course I don’t have any touch up for the canopy… well I do, but it’s epoxy paint and I don’t have the resin.

Piecing together all the parts for the lock/ltach. The manual says to use M3 screws to fasten the plate to the door, but they don’t show rivnuts being used. I assume that’s what is needed, but then the plate isn’t going to sit completely flush on the door. I’m thinking maybe I need to get some countersunk rivnuts for this.

This is the handle side of the lock. I still need to do a little adjusting here because it’s a little tight to turn the handle. Also still have a bit to do with connecting the rod between the front and rear latches and a few other holes to drill. Then I get to do it all over again for the right  side door.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.