Carbon Fiber… Yeah Baby!

I picked up the parts I had done up in carbon fiber. I’m a bit disappointed that they don’t look more finished. I was kind of expecting nice and shinny, free from blemishes parts. I think that after some clean up and a little filling then a good couple of coats of a clear gloss finish they will look good. Right now it’s hard to see that they will be what I wanted.

Here’s a photo of the raw parts. They need to be cut and sanded. I used the Dremel with the bendable cord extension to cut them down to about the right size then used a sanding wheel and the electric sander with 240 grit paper to finish them to the correct size. You can see the outline of the original holes and cut outs, but I’m using the original parts as a guide to make sure I don’t cut too much. This stuff is super strong, but it cuts very easy and it’s easy to sand too much off.

The parts all cut out and sanded. I think the cubby hole cover came out the best. I was thinking that it wasn’t going to because the mold wasn’t so good.

Everything fits great. I’m going to wait to drill the mounting holes in the cubby hole cover for now. The brake lever and throttle also fit fine. The throttle coveris a tad bit “flexy” especially around the brake lever area. I’m going to add a bit of epoxy resin to the back to stiffen it up a bit. I think it will be fine once it’s mounted to the other console skins though.

I can’t wait to get a few coats of clear coat on these. I ordered some very good UV stable clear coat that I should have in a few days. I’ll do some experiments when I get it and hopefully it will work as advertised.

BTW I have one extra of each one of the covers so if anyone wants one or both just let me know. I want to make sure I don’t mess this up first before I give them away, but if you’re willing to do a little extra work and want to take on the challenge I’m more then happy to share.

Advertisements