Brake Lines Through Landing Gear

Time: 2 hrs

I wasn’t looking forward to this so it was hard to get motivated. Since I’m using stainless steel covered teflon brake lines I needed to widen out the channel that runs along the back of the main landing gear down to each wheel. I purchase a 9/32″ straight router bit (I couldn’t find a round nose one in that size). I put a block of wood on the router as a guide so that I couldn’t accidentaly slip out of the groove too much. I had to make three passes (probably could have done it in 2) down to a little over 1/4″ depth. It came out pretty good. There are a few spots that I have to fill because the bit knicked the edge of the channel. Also I had a quickly caught slight disaster that caused a few inches of the left side channel to be a bit deeper then wanted (the router bit started to move out of the chuck… got to make sure the chuck is tight ).

In other news. I’m still waiting for my GMU mounting bracket. It seems like everyone else got there’s but mine is still being shipped. I hope by next week or so. I real am not looking forward to installing that, but Peter was successful so it gives me hope that it may be doable. I also contacted California Power Systems and the lead time on the 914 is only 2 weeks so maybe January or so I’ll order the engine. I’d like to get the canopy and install that, plus any firewall forward parts I may need before the engine is ordered so that I’m ready to put it on the plane soon after it arrives. Additionally I verified that the fuel pumps and oil tank come with the engine so those don’t need to be purchased separately. I will need to get the oil cooler, radiator, and alternator.

Did a quick test in a block of wood. The brake line fit in nice and tight. Should be good to go.

Router bit set to a little over 1/4″. Didn’t get a photo of the wood block guide. Basically I just cut a small 1-1.5″ pieces of 1×1 wood and clamped it to the route base with a C-clamp on one side so that I could rest that on the edge of the gear and keep the router stable.

Came out pretty good. A few little knick to fill. This makes a mess.

The brake line fits pretty tight in the channel, you have to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it to seat. There’s a few spots where it’s not super tight though, but I’ll use some RTV when I install the brake line (after painting) that should keep it in place. Also I’ll probably use some kind of clamp on the bottom because it’s a fairly hard bend into the caliber. The clamp will be hidden inside the wheel pants. I was also looking at a way to use some adel clamps to hold the brake line down but I can’t really figure out a good way to install them. I don’t want to drill any holes in the gear for rivnuts.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.