Main Gear

Time: 1.75 hrs

Wow I figured I’d quickly put the axels on the main gear… well it took a bit longer then anticipated. There was one bolt on each side that seemed to have been drilled out a little off in the main gear (at the factory) so that made putting the wheel spat bracket on very difficult. I did manage to get everything together after some gentle hammering. It should be fun taking it apart again. Also it seems that the factory didn’t prime the whole gear so I’m thinking I should prime everything.

Note: I assembled this with the main gear upside down… which makes it even more fun   :-). I flipped the photos over so that it’s a little easier to get the orientation. If you notice things hanging from the ceiling that shouldn’t it’s because of that.

Everything assembled looking from the axel side.

Assembled looking from the wheel spat bracket side (inside). finally got that sucker on. Also you can see the M5 rivnuts installed in the wheel spat bracket. This is the newer bracket which gives you access to remove the brake pads without having to pull the whole wheel apart. The old bracket is wider in the back and covers part of the caliper.

You need to align the axel and brake caliper bracket so that one of the holes for the brake caliper bracket lines up with the cut out in the gear (top right of photo) otherwise the brakes won’t fit back on.

Advertisements

Sanding Rivets

Time: 2.75 hrs

Today I sanded the left side fuselage rivets that I filled yesterday. The process is a bit slower then filling them, but still moves along pretty quick. No real tips here, just don’t sand too much. I made a tool to protect the skins when you sand the rivet. I made the tool with two different size holes (one of 4mm and the other for 3.2mm) but you really only need the larger one since the sanding disc won’t get in between that small gap. The width of the tool (about 1-1.5″) was pretty good. I was able to get in between most rivets and have the tool sit flush on the skin. A few places I just had to be careful with the sander and not use the tool. And the few countersunk rivets needed to be done with care as well… just a few light scratches on the skins.

This is what I’ve been using to fill the rivets and the tool I made to protect the skin when sanding. I’m using a small 3″ sanding disc on my electric drill with 240 grit paper (will need to get a photo of that).