Time: 1.25 hrs
I noticed that the seats on the Slings don’t slide very well when adjusting them so I added some low friction tape to the front seat bottoms. This will keep the paint from scratching off and also help the seat to slide better. I haven’t been able to fully test it to see if it helps, but I was able to check it with the seat halfway inserted onto rails and it slides very nice so hopefully it was worth the effort and cost. The tape isn’t cheap. I bought a 18 yard roll of CS Hyde 2″ UHMW Polyethylene Tape off Amazon for around $35. 3M also makes similar tape, but I think that was around $75 for a 2″ roll.
It doesn’t look great, but you won’t really be able to see it once the seat is instal din the rails. I’m not sure what he holes on the side of the seats are for, but I cut the tape out for the holes anyways.
This stuff was kind of a pain to install or at least install so it looked OK. I ended up marking the bottom side with some tape so I knew where to align the edge of the tape. I then pealed the whole backing of the tape off and positioned it on the marks and lightly pressed along the end to get it to stick. Then I pressed in the center on the bottom and work out to the edges, just on the bottom. Once the bottom was done I slowly pressed around the edge from the center to wrap it around the side of the seat bottom. It does come off and doesn’t leave a residue. It took me two or three tries to get it looking good without bubbles or alignment issues.
I should probably put a little on the adjuster with there pin is as well.
I saw this in the Kitplanes September 2016 issue. These are lithium batteries and weigh quite a bit less then other dry-cell batteries like the Odyssey that are typically used in aircraft. For example the Odessy PC1200 weighs around 39lbs while the EarthX ETX1200 only weighs about 8lbs, both have around 600CCA. They’re a bit pricey though, around $700 for the ETX1200 (above). Aircraft Spruce sells them and also found them at Battery Mart. I will need to do some more research on them and what size battery I would need for the Sling. It might be a good option if weight is an issue, though since the tech is still a bit new I’m sure there are problems.
Here’s a comparison (at the bottom of the page) between Odyssey and EarthX (it was done by EarthX) so it’s a bit biased.
Installed a few lightening hole standoffs for running the wiring through the lightening holes. They’re a bit expensive (about $3 each), but I think it will make the wiring a bit more secure and clean. You can do similar using two zip ties or make your own bracket our of some aluminum and then use a regular tie mount. I purchased these off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013ENNPCY/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but it looks like they actually came from Mouser… will have to get the part number off the bag.
Some of the lightening hole stand-offs installed near the main spar area with the cool blue zip ties. The wringing for the elevator AP servo is seen. More wire from the rear fuselage will run through here as well. I wanted to use a bright color for the zip ties so that I can see them easily if I need to cut them. The 4.5mm wide ties fit perfect in the stand-offs.
Installed a few in the center console, low so the wiring will run under the rudder cables.
I also finally received the swatches for the flooring material. I kind of like the material I had already chosen better. The color is a bit darker then the swatches and the pattern is better, I’ve already covered some of the parts with it, though it would be easy to recover if I needed to. I know TAF supplies their own carpeting, but it’s not very nice and is pretty thin. The swatches are from SCS Interiors (www.scs-interiors.com). They seem to be good quality, I’m just not really liking the colors.
The material under is the carpeting that I used on the inside of the glove box and used on some of the removal panels. The swatches are (from top to bottom): Licorice, Gray, and Black.