Search for things to do

Time: 2 hr

Did some random stuff on the plane in an attempt to keep busy while I wait for my parts.

Things done today:

  • Ran wiring for AP servos
  • Drilled out two holes for battery reinforcing bracket
  • Notched top of battery reinforcing bracket
  • Riveted battery reinforcing bracket to firewall
  • Installed a few rivnuts in firewall
  • Riveted top front rib
  • Put a few rivets in the seat rails
  • Installed M3 screws into throttle assembly
  • Installed edge grommet on rear bottom seat section

 

I did a rough run  of the wires to the roll and pitch servos (which I don’t have yet… Hey Christmas is coming so I can hope). I will daisy chain the power, ground, AP disconnect, and CAN bus from the roll servo over to the pitch servo. The roll servo also gets an extra 22-2 for RS-232 to the GMA307 AP Controller. The pitch servo will eventually have an additional (2) 22-2 runs for the pitch trim motor. The pitch servo is also the end of the CAN bus so will have to jumper some pins on the connector when I wire that up. I also need to install some adel clamps or the like to keep the cables in place.

 

I figured it was safe to install the battery reinforcing bracket. There were two holes that got covered by the top firewall reinforcing channel so I needed to drill those out. Also the bracket overlap the top bracket (grey bracket in photo) so I made a small notch in the battery bracket so it sits flat on the firewall.

I also received the M3 socket cap screws from BoltDepot today so I loosely installed those for the throttle stops in where I think they need to go. I added some heat shrink on the screws just so the throttle lever wasn’t hitting the threads of the screw. It took some experimenting, but what I ended up doing was to cut a piece of heat shrink and put it on the smooth end of a 7/64″ drill bit then heated it to lately shrink to that size. I then removed the heat shrink from the bit and slid it over the screw threads when installing the screw. I probably could have just shrank it right on the screw after it was inserted, but I was worried that for one the heat gun would bubble the primer and two the heat shrink would stick to the screw making it very difficult to remove the screw if I needed.

img_2948

Installed some edge grommet to the seat belt holes in the rear seat bottom section. The paint came out pretty good too… not too bad for a table in the back yard with a can of rustoleum from HD.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s